Thursday, May 30, 2013

Chapter 4

 
(pinterest.com)


 
The Learning Environment: Planning and Managing the Classroom
 
 
A student cannot be successful alone. A classroom is the ultimate TEAM experience. The success of the students and teacher are based on the planning and management of the class. Classroom management and planning are the most vital components to teaching. Without structure and boundaries it can be difficult or impossible to instruct, learn, interact, bond, and have an overall positive experience. It is not solely for the benefit of the students, it is for the benefit of everyone who enters or interacts with the class.
    
   I think it is important to continually reiterate the need to never take the "small stuff" for granted. Visuals, simple role playing, small pats on the back as you walk by, conferencing, consistency in the details, positive not punitive....all of these set the stage for higher expectations. Strategies taught to allow the classroom to run smoothly are the same strategies that allow the teacher to deal with negative issues in a timely, proficient manner.   
 
     The different models for classroom behavior all take into consideration that the days of children being seen and not heard are long over. Understanding what drives a child's behavior, letting them experience natural consequences, allowing control over their emotions, listening to them, and realizing every child's need for an engaged teacher can all be used as tools to manage behavior. Having an understanding of all the theories is truly the best way to teach.  The reality is, each child will require a different (slight or huge) approach to understanding them academically and behaviorally.
 
     Hopefully every teacher that takes a classroom will be able to maintain a sense of pride. It should be from the classroom itself to their academic planning, from their investment in the students to the commitment receive from their students. It is a beautiful thing to see when it works and terribly sad when it falls apart for all involved.
 
 
 

 
 



 

 


2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that the "small stuff" is very important and should not be overlooked. Over time the "small stuff" adds up, and becomes something larger. I agree that classroom management is vital to the classroom. I am currently the teacher at a daycare and if I overlooked the whole classroom managment aspect and neve disciplined the children, it would be impossible to ever get anything done. It would also be very difficult to establish a relationship with the children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you that visuals are an important part of the classroom. I am a visual learner so it always helps when I see visuals of the rules of a class. I also like your idea of role playing that is a unique idea. I think that its a really good way of getting the class to understand the rules of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete