Preparing an Instructional Plan...
- Selecting the topic/theme
- Deciding on a goal
- Creating an overview
- Selecting educational objectives
- Detailed instructional procedure
- introductory activities
- developmental activities
- culminating activities
- Plan PRE-assessments/POST-assessments
- Gather materials
The mode of delivery is another decision to be made. Direct and indirect instruction really aren't choices. They are both viable and necessary instruction techniques that when utilized appropriately act as compliments to one another. It is true, direct instruction should never be the bulk of teaching but it has a place....however small it has become. Indirect instruction is so different from direct instruction.
The vast amount of resources and unlimited creativity that can be used it exciting; it is the classroom experience that provides dense learning experiences for all types of learners (tactile, kinesthetic, auditory & visual).
There are many different aspects of the child learner an educator needs to decise what and where their beliefs lie:
- Learning Styles-
- imaginative
- analytic
- dynamic
- Three Phase Learning Cycle-
- exploratory/hands on
- inventive/concept development
- expansion/application
- 4MAT
- Learning Capacities-
- bodily/kinesthetic
- existentialist
- interpersonal
- intrapersonal
- logical/mathematical
- musical/rhythmic
- naturalist
- verbal/linguistic
- visual/spatial
Teacher's need to plan for each student, taking into account their unique talents and abilities. This requires knowledgeable and dedicated teacher's who don't live inside the box.
The educator that plans gives themselves the gift of reflection. It is so important to look back and reflect and re-evaluate every lesson. Whether you have taught the lesson one time or 25 times, it can never be the same plan or outcome twice. The children are different, the class dynamic is different, and every year the teacher should evolve and be different.



I definitely agree that lesson planning is not simple. For ETE 215 we had to create a thematic unit that lasted a week. So much time went into planning the individual lessons for the different subjects. Also, I agree with the fact that a lesson should never be taught the same way twice. I am a teacher at a daycare, and I have realized over the 4 years that I have worked there that you have to modify the lessons for each individual class that you have. I have re-taught several different lessons, but they are different each time I teach them because I tailor them for each individual class.
ReplyDelete